Thursday, April 25, 2013

Darin Shock Not Penny's Boat The Official Bad Robot Art Experience





Tomorrow is the opening of Gallery1988's The Official Bad Robot Art Experience group art show at in Los Angeles. Featuring a collection of artwork inspired by the films and TV shows of writer, producer and director J.J. Abrams and his Bad Robot production company. The show’s opening reception is Friday, April 26, 2013 from 7 PM to 10 PM at Gallery1988′s new location (7308 Melrose Avenue) and will run until Saturday, May 18th. Proceeds from the art show will be benefiting The Mission Continues charity, who helps inspire military veterans to become community leaders.

Darin Shock is back with another incredible mixed media sculpture.  It's entitled "Not Penny's Boat" the piece is 20x20" in size and is inspired by Lost.

Darin on the creation of it :

This is my contribution to the official Bad Robot art show at Gallery 1988. The production company, started by JJ Abrams, is responsible for several shows and films from Lost to Fringe to Super 8 and the latest Star Trek movies. I chose to be a part of this show simply because I am a huge, huge fan of Lost.
To be honest, it's not typical of me to get into any major network show, much less a drama. I find most to be cliche, predictable, geared towards the middle and therefore not worth investing my time. A few years back I found myself flipping through the many options of instant Netflix and (not being sold on anything) I decided to give Lost a try. Knew very little about it...certainly didn't expect much. 42 minutes later I found myself itching, feeling cold, and needing more! What ensued was an unhealthy adventure into what can only be described as binge television. Despite the unavoidable cheese and limitations of a major network show, the writing and execution of Lost is simply astonishing. I had to know what the hell was going on in this world but unfortunately also required sleep. Several weeks and 6 seasons of over 120 hours later, I had my answers...well mostly. Despite some rush jobs to explain things during the final season, I absolutely love love love the final episode. The writers took a lot of heat as others hated it. I refer to it as one of my favorite endings ever. It was the definition of bittersweet and a perfect ending to a great show in my opinion.

This is a depiction of the scene (at the end of season 3) where Charlie is SPOILER...about to die and still has the insight and will to convey an important message to try to save his fellow passengers. It, like several other moments in this show, was an impactful scene that I thought about for a while. It was a lot of fun doing a piece that was inspired by something so inspiring! Now if I could just get that damn Drive Shaft song out of my head!
Sadly the ham fisted donkeys at Fedex damaged it during shipment to the gallery and it wont be on display. Hope they pay Darin the insurance money for such an outstanding piece of work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

//SEO SCRIPT POWERED BY www.alltechbuzz.in